This is something that a lot of our patients ask, and I’m more than happy to clarify. When any of our patients schedule, we always ask that they bring a spouse, significant other, or a close family member to the appointment for a variety of reasons:
• There is a lot of information to go over. We pride ourselves in how much we know about hearing loss, and we like to pass that information on to our patients. When you come in, our AudigyCertified™ audiologists are going to give you all of the information they can to help you, and having a loved one with is great because it’s an extra set of ears to listen.
• Emotional support. Finding out you have a hearing loss is hard, and having a support system at the appointment with you can be exceptionally helpful.
• A different perspective. You might have questions when you come in, and that’s fantastic! But this might mean that your companion also has questions, and we want to answer those as well.
• You might not know you’re not hearing certain things. I f you do have a hearing loss, you might not know what you’re not hearing. Bringing someone who is close to you and familiar with your hearing experience gives us another point of view!
• Hearing aids are a big decision! Hearing aids aren’t something you can just pick up on your weekly trip to the mall. Like all medical decisions, hearing aids are a big deal. A lot of our patients prefer to consult with their spouse or significant other before making the decision to purchase, and sometimes they have questions. By bringing them to the appointment, they can get all of the information that you get, and you can make an informed decision together.
There are many reasons to bring a loved one with to your appointment, but it’s not a requirement. Sometimes there are extenuating factors and loved ones aren’t able to make it, and we understand that. If you’re not, we are still more than happy to see you! If you are able to bring someone with you, they are more than welcome to come. We love answering questions, and we’re sure your loved one has a few!